"Get to know us" Part Five - Q&A with Clarissa of Foxtail Floral Designs
I have had the pleasure of getting to know this lovely lady over the past few years and I am SO happy she is a part of our community. Now I'm excited for YOU to get to know her a little better too!
Clarissa is an incredibly talented floral designer based in Cochrane Ab. and she just had her first baby (a beautiful little girl) making her both a mama and a boss babe! I am so grateful she was able to take the time out of her busy schedule to answer some fun questions for us!
1. How long have you been in business?
I’ve been in business for the last 2.5 years. No one was hiring freelance florists at the time, so I decided to start my own business.
2. Why did you choose to start a business in floral design?
I wanted a business, where I had flexibility to be at home, I've always loved working with my hands and running my own business. So it seemed like the right thing to do. It's become so much more than flexibility. It's a profession I'm truly in love with and see myself doing for a long time to come.
3. Name 2-3 people who you admire/look up to in the wedding industry and why.
- Tavia, owner of Sweet Bloom Floral Design We became fast friends at an Open Trunk Workshop. She is truly an inspirational, kind and supportive individual, who always takes the time to answer my questions, despite being a super busy business woman.
- Heather, owner of Open Trunk Workshop and Orange Trunk. I absolutely love working with her and thinking up new ideas for creative shoots. When I want to make an idea come to life, Heather is my go to girl!
4. If you didn’t have your wedding floral business, what else would you like to do for a living?
I've been working as a Massage Therapist for the last 7 years and will continue to do that. It's also a fulfilling profession and I love being able to help people.
5. What is your favorite thing about being a part of the Alberta Wedding Social Community so far?
I love that couples have the opportunity to feel at ease and stress free in the planning process.
1. Where are you originally from?
I'm from Conrich Alberta, just east of Calgary.
2. Tell us about your family. Married? Kids? Pets?
I have a wonderful little fam jam. My hubs and I have been married for almost 3 years, we recently had a wonderful baby girl 4.5 months ago and have 2 of the best fur babies anyone could ask for!
3. What do you and your family like to do in your spare time?
We are big into the outdoors, camping is a huge part of our lives, we even did a camping wedding! We have big plans to enjoy a full and fun summer of camping, hiking and mountain biking adventures. We also love, love to travel, it's a big part of our lives and we will continue to do it, even with our little one.
4. You’re a brand new momma for the first time; tell us the best part about having a new baby girl in your life :)
Waking up every morning, knowing I’m going to get the biggest and happiest smile possible, along with snuggles of course.
5. Name 3 people (family members, famous people, friends, whomever) who have influenced your life in a positive way and a brief description as to how/why.
My hubby - He’s the one who pushed me to take the Floral Design Program at Mount Royal University and has continually supported me through this entire journey.
My ladies Emily & Justine! They have been my rocks through my business and mama journey. Continually providing support and love throughout the process and I couldn't do mama life without them!
6. What is your favorite meal? *complete with your favorite side dish and wine pairing.
I love me a traditional German Meal. Schnitzel, with a creamy mushroom sauce and french fries. I love a good dry Chardonnay to go along with it.
7. List 3 of your favorite TV shows, 3 of your favorite movies and 3 of your favorite bands/musicians.
~Ozark, Justified and The Goodwife
~Pride & Prejudice
~Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra
8. Tell us one silly thing about yourself that (maybe) no one knows! Like a funny, unusual hidden talent or quirk.
I tell the worst jokes ever and then laugh at them myself.
9. If your friends were to describe you in 3 words, what would they be? (ex: kind, funny etc)
Loyal, forgiving, honest.
10. Last but not least; tell us your favorite quote or “words to live by”!
"I get knocked down, but I get up again. You are never gonna keep me down" - Chumbawamba
Well now I will have that song suck in my head the rest of the day! And I may have to invite myself over for this delicious Schnitzel and mushroom sauce dinner sometime, Clarissa! ;)
Thank you so much for sharing more about yourself with us! It's so fun getting to know our community members on a more personal level!