"Get to know us" - Part One. Q&A with Heather from Orange Trunk
Here at AWS, it has always been so important to me that you get to know our community - as either a couple planning your wedding or as another vendor in the wedding industry. So, I decided that it would be a great change of pace (zero pandemic talk here!) to see some fun Q&A's from a few of our vendors! You get to know more about us and we get to have fun sharing; it's a win win!
First up we have Heather from Orange Trunk Vintage Styling and Rentals. Fun fact: Heather is actually one of my very good friends and was even a bridesmaid in my wedding not so long ago! She is always the first person I go to when I have new ideas and she always says yes when I ask her to be a part of anything! Such as this Q&A; thank you so much my friend :)
Also, I just received her answers and I swear I didn't pay her to say what she said about me. Haha. I am truly blessed to have this woman in my life! ;)
1. How long have you been in business?
We are jumping into season 7 this spring!
2. Why did you choose to start a business in vintage rentals and styling?
Ha ha, I didn’t! My girlfriend did! It started as fun cake table displays and props to create unique parties, and quickly became a large vintage rental inventory. The styling part came in when I got into doing styled shoots in order to get professional images of my inventory pieces.
3. Name 2-3 people who you admire/look up to in the wedding industry and why.
1. Lynn Fletcher has been a great source of inspiration, and a leader in our local wedding community. I admire her for being a leader, and still wearing her heart on her sleeve and truly caring for the community she works in.
2. Melanie LeBlanc of Grey Lily Photography and our fearless leader here at AWS!! Seriously...Melanie has worked her butt off to create her photography business, and then has gone above and beyond for the vendors in this group. Her community spirit is top notch, and I love that about her!
*insert me crying right here!
4. If you didn’t have Orange Trunk (or the Open Trunk Workshop) what would you do for a living/as a career?
Once upon a time I wanted to be a nurse or grade school teacher. Right now, during our current social atmosphere, I would consider those jobs to be the toughest in the world! As long as I can be creative, I would be happy!
5. What is your favourite thing about being a part of the Alberta Wedding Social community?
I love the community spirit! Seeing all the comments on and sharing of posts, the camaraderie shown by every vendor...its brilliant, and I’m so proud to be part of it!
1. Where are you originally from?
I am from Fredericton, New Brunswick, and grew up in a small rural area called Taymouth, where my parents and grandparents were all raised and have lived all their lives. I swore I’d never leave, but here I am in Calgary!
2. Tell us about your family. Married? Kids? Pets?
Married for 21 years this May! My husband and I talked about getting married on our first date. We have 4 kids, all boys. They are 19, 17, 13 and 12! They are my favorite people in the world, and the best furniture picker uppers ever!
3. Where is your favorite place to travel?
HOME to see family. We don’t ever see ourselves moving back, but we sure do miss our families. My husband and family grew up in the community next to mine, and our families have known each other forever. Our parent’s driveways are an 11 minute drive from each other.
4. What do you like to do in your spare time/hobbies?
Create! Create anything really. I’ve always loved cooking and baking, scrap booking, decorating, making, crafting...with the route my career took, I get to do a little bit of that in my work, so it's hard to even call it work!
5. Name 2-3 people (family members, famous people, friends, whomever) who have influenced your life in a positive way and a brief description as to how/why.
1. My Mom + Dad for sure. They are both creative and hardworking. I am who I am because of how they raised me, and I’m proud of that!
2. Entrepreneur, Jillian Harris. I did watch her on the bachelor, and followed her journey of design, and even through the Charlie Ford Vintage years...and in the past few years, she has taken leaps and bounds, carved her own way and created a brilliant
team of other women entrepreneurs; who are ‘goals’ at raising each other up.
6. What is your favorite meal? *complete with your favorite side dish, condiment or wine pairing!
Hahaha...this question is specifically for me isn’t it! Love it! I live for Taco Tuesday (or Taco’s + Tequila at our fave tavern - Leopold’s Bowness or Belt Line!) If I can’t get to Leo’s on a Tuesday night, we do a big taco feed at home...and it is marvelous. We have pulled BBQ pork, cilantro lime pulled chicken, taco beef, taco rice, all the veggies + toppings: tomato, peppers, avocado, cilantro, corn, black beans, tex-mex cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, taco sauce...and my own secret topping - kraft russian dressing! Don’t judge until you have tried it!
7. List 3 of your favorite TV shows, 3 of your favorite movies and 3 of your favorite bands/musicians.
TV - 1.Chicago PD 2.Home Town on HGTV 3. Friends
Movies - 1. Steel Magnolias 2. Beaches 3. Shawshank Redemption
Music - 1. Bon Jovi 2. Chris Stapleton 3. Miranda Lambert
8. Tell us one silly thing about yourself that (maybe) no one knows! Like a funny habit, unusual hidden talent or quirk!
Well I told you I put Russian dressing on my tacos.... I’m a pretty open book though! ha ha
9. If your friends were to describe you in 3-5 words what would they say? (ex: kind, funny etc)
This is a hard one!
10. Last but not least; tell us your favorite quote or “words to live by”!
Because I think I’m funny, my words to live by are ‘It’s 5 o’clock somewhere!’
Thank you SO much to Heather for agreeing to do this and for sharing some fun facts about yourself with our couples and community. And because I know Heather so well, I'm going to add a few things to her answer on question 9. Heather - yes, you are kind, hardworking and loving. And you are also funny (like really funny!), loyal, supportive and a true inspiration in the wedding industry. Love you my friend!
Stay tuned over the next few weeks for more of our "get to know us" blogs, featuring our talented community vendors!