"Get to know us" Part Six - Q&A with Sarazin Photography
Say hello to Cass! One of our (extremely) talented Alberta Rockies' Photographers! I have yet to meet Cass in person but from what I have learned of her over the past few months; I know that she is a perfect fit for the AWS Community!
Cass is a fellow Ontario girl who loves nature, hiking and capturing couples in love. Here is more about this talented, adventurous lady!
1. How long have you been in business?
Photography has been a passion of mine since I got my first DSLR back in college when I was in Graphic Design. Being a photographer wasn’t something I ever planned on pursuing as a career honestly, but I have always loved doing it. You always hear about the “starving artist”. People started requesting my services which was amazing, so I started my wedding photography business officially in early 2018.
2. Why did you choose to start a business in photography?
I started off photographing babies and families as people requested, but it wasn’t until I photographed a couple that I realized how much I loved capturing couples’ love stories. I immediately focused my time and energy into photographing weddings and haven’t looked back! Since then I moved out to Calgary from Ontario to pursue my love of wedding photography combined with my love of adventure and the Rocky Mountains.
3. Name 2-3 people who you admire/look up to in the wedding industry and why.
Carey Nash - he’s an incredible wedding photographer from Edmonton and his photos are unreal! He has a true eye for beauty. His photos featuring wedding couples mixed with epic adventurous landscapes gets me everytime! So inspiring.
I’m also a big fan of Ben Hartley - his podcasts and Facebook group help with the business side of wedding photography. I think it’s great he’s built this supportive community for other photographers.
4. If you didn’t have your wedding photography business, what else would you like to do for a living?
I used to want to be a fashion designer, or a graphic artist. I’m definitely not a sit at a desk kind of gal. Is puppy cuddling something I can get paid full time for?
5. What is your favorite thing about being a part of the Alberta Wedding Social Community so far? I simply love the community and culture that Alberta Wedding Social provides for local vendors in the wedding industry. It’s great to lift each other up and show support. Since joining AWS, I have discovered a ton of amazing vendors, talented florists, cake artists, planners, stylists etc., and I love that!
1. Where are you originally from?
Onterrible, as everyone calls it (except for Ontarians of course, no offense guys).
2. Tell us about your family. Married? Kids? Pets? From a Big family/small?
I came out to Calgary all by myself so I’m attempting to pull off that single, independent woman thing. Would love to adopt a pooch soon who can come on hiking adventures with me.
3. A.) Where is the best place you have ever traveled and why?
Oh, that’s a toughie. I used to be a flight attendant so I’ve seen some beautiful places but I loved visiting Costa Rica. It has delicious coffee and fresh tropical fruit, you can hike through the rain forests to explore waterfalls and wildlife AND you can surf or relax by the water and watch the amazing sunsets. Win-win-win!
B.) Name a place that is on your bucket list?
Asia for sure. I would love to hit up Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam. I love the food and I imagine so many adventures to be had. The complete opposite of Asia is Iceland. I would love to shoot an elopement there, chase some waterfalls and enjoy the several hours of “golden hour”--a photog's dream. ;)
4. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I’m a hiker baby! The mountains are why I moved out here and I try to go hiking every weekend. Gets that heart pumping and I can simultaneously scope out epic locations for photo shoots.
5. Name 3 people (family members, famous people, friends, whomever) who have influenced your life in a positive way and a brief description as to how/why.
My mom was sad to find out I wanted to move out west, but she has always supported me and my path.
My friend Britt who has lived in Calgary for 7 years now, was the one who convinced me to move out here, I don’t know if I would’ve had the guts to do it without her help or support.
My aunts are creative, artistic women who live in Vancouver and they continue to show me there’s beauty and happiness in pursuing your passion.
6. What are your favorite foods/snacks?
Nothing beats a good slice of pepperoni ‘za.
7. List 3 of your favorite TV shows, 3 of your favorite movies and 3 of your favorite bands/musicians.
I’m totally hooked on Seinfeld right now (re-watching for the 20th time likely), I also love The Office and Friends of course. The Simpsons will always hold a special, funny place in my heart.
I finally just watched The Shawshank Redemption in isolation for the first time and it was awesome. I’m a big fan of Quentin Tarantino movies like Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction. I also love some silly comedies like Pineapple Express.
It’s so hard for me to pick my top 3 musicians because I listen to so many different genres of music. But if I had to choose 3 I would say Shakey Graves, Vampire Weekend, Hey Ocean, oh and Lake Street Dive. Ok 4. :)
8. Tell us one silly thing about yourself that (maybe) no one knows! Like a funny, unusual hidden talent or quirk. It’s not a talent or a secret but I turn extremely red when I work out haha. I’m also allergic to Kiwis (the fruit, not the people).
9. If your friends were to describe you in 3 words, what would they be?
I surveyed my friends because I’m not good at describing myself, in case there’s some discrepancies. They said “funny, outdoorsy and down to earth”.
10. Last but not least; tell us your favorite quote or “words to live by”!
I’m not big on quotes at all, and instantly funny Michael Scott quotes came to mind such as, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky -Michael Scott”. But a good one from The Office that I find to be very true is, “There’s a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn’t that kind of the point?”.
Ahhh these are so great Cass! Alberta is lucky to have you with us!
Thank you fro taking the time to answer our Q's for the blog! I loved learning a little more about you and if there actually IS a job that you can get paid to cuddle puppies, I will let you know because I'll be working there too! ;)